Monday, February 7, 2011

Broken

Well... Been thinking a lot of my dad of late. Guess that'll just come and go in waves. I'm still amazed he managed to pull of most of what he did and keep a family going all those years. Heck to the most part we ended up alright (yeah, okay, so my alright is far removed from most mind you).

Today's song, "Broken" by Seether (formerly Sarin Gas) was written by Shaun for his daughter after having to back on tour shortly after her birth. Later it was used as a duet with Amy Lee for the movie soundtrack of Punisher. While I'm an Amy Lee fan, I prefer it with just Shaun singing I think it holds much truer to the origins of the song that way.

I remember watching the guys play this one a few years back. I could only stand there and kinda just soak it up. Memories... so many memories.

One line really stands out, "There's so much left to learn, and no one left to fight". You can only be angry about things for so long, but in the end there really is no blame to be made. Time will always be too short and we'll never really learn as much as we should, we can only hope to learn as much from the special folk as we can.

I wanted you to know that I love the way you laugh
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain away
I keep your photograph and I know it serves me well
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

Because I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

The worst is over now and we can breathe again
I wanna hold you high, you steal my pain away
There's so much left to learn, and no one left to fight
I wanna hold you high and steal your pain

'Cause I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away

'Cause I'm broken when I'm open
And I don't feel like I am strong enough
'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
And I don't feel right when you're gone away


I think we're all kinda broken in many ways. Events in life slowly break little pieces off of us but that's what shapes us. As I like to remember, even the statue of David is just a piece of stone that's been broken in just the right places.

No comments:

Post a Comment